Who, me?

Saturday, April 10, 2010

04.10.2010 - My First Day

My first night in my foster home was pretty uneventful. One of the other girl vizslas here took a liking to my MANSION of a soft crate so I decided to sleep on another dog pillow in the bedroom. The other human here, Robert, let me out around 7:00am and then fed everyone breakfast, which I gladly ate, having skipped dinner last evening.

This morning Robert introduced me to a very unique toy that "flies"; a soft frisbee. It appears to just float in the air when he throws it and I try to catch it. It is difficult, but I am getting better at it very quickly. At first, I didn't know where it had gone after Robert threw it until it hit the ground. But now I realize I have to look up to see it because it stays airborne much longer than any other toy I have ever played with. I really enjoy this toy and could play for hours with it. I even get to go into a larger area twice a day where the horses graze. Of course, none of us are allowed out in that area while the horses are there. We have to wait until they are in their individual paddocks.

There are lots of toys here to play with and nearly as many dogs. I get along with them all but my first choice of activities is playing fetch with the humans, followed by snuggling with the humans and lastly, playing with the other dogs. Today is rather cool, gray, cloudy and misty; not a very nice day to be outside. Robert has made a fire in the wood stove and I am snuggled in my dog bed on the floor next to him in the dining room.

Nancy surprised me this afternoon when she arrived back home from her errands. She bought me an industrial strength tennis ball, the size of a grapefruit! It is so big and tough that I cannot crush it like a normal tennis ball. Robert threw it for me until I wore myself out. There is a huge tub of water in the yard that Robert put out for Stockton, my foster buddy, in the event the Lab in him wanted to go for a dip. When I get tired of chasing the ball, frisbee or whatever, I go stand in the tub to cool off. I am always careful to not leave my toy behind so I take it into the tub with me. If I drop it to drink and it sinks I then have fun trying to retrieve without sticking my head under water (a last resort only). When I cool off, I hop out and am ready for another round of fetch (endlessly).

I willingly go into a crate to eat my dinner because this is what Stockton told me the humans like. I ate my dinner and then settled in on a dog bed while the humans prepared their dinner. I watched Netflix and Hulu TV with Nancy late into the evening; she really has this thing for McCloud's Daughters, so much so that I find myself hankering for a vegemite sandwich. Heck, even her Garmin Nuvi is Australian!

No comments:

Post a Comment